In order to drive a motor car / vehicle in a public place one must possess a valid driving licence issued by the Licencing Authority. It is illegal to drive a motor car without having an effective driving licence and similarly no person shall drive a Transport Vehicle in a public place unless his driving license specifically entitles him so to do. The District Transport Officer’s of various districts is the competent authority to issue driving license in Assam.
After the scrutiny of your documents you have to appear a test of competence to drive a vehicle as per the procedures laid down under Rule – 15 of Central Motor Vehicle Rules, 1989. For this driving test you have to bring your vehicle along with you to the District Transport Office and here the M.V.I.’s will test your driving skills, knowledge of traffic rules and regulations and familiarization with the vehicle. The candidate who passes the test of competence successfully will be issued with a driving license.
1. For applying for a licence one must be 18 (eighteen) years of age and for driving a transport vehicle one must be 21 (twenty one) years of age. But a person attaining the age of 16 (sixteen) years can drive a motor cycle with engine capacity not exceeding 50CC in a public place.
2. The applicant who has held a valid learner’s licence for a period of at least 30 days or within 180 days from the date of issuance of learner’s licence can apply for the permanent driving licence
The following Documents should be attached to the form prescribed in Schedule I and II:
1. Your valid learner’s licence
2. Three copies of recent passport size photo
3. Proof of age and residence
4. In case of Transport Vehicle certificate in Form given in Form 5 issued by a driving training school/establishment
5. In case of endorsements of categories your original licence
6. Police verification
For obtaining a Learner’s Licence you have to apply to the licence authority or District Transport Officer, in whose jurisdiction, the applicant resides. The form for application is given below in Schedule I and Schedule II
Generally a licence is valid for 20 years from the date of issue or till you turn 50 years of age which ever is earlier. But the driving licence issued for Transport Vehicle will be valid for 3 (three) years.
Form of Application for License to drive a Motor Vehicle
District Transport Officer Sonitpur, Tezpur