Haleswar name came from Hallowa or farmer who found the Linga during ploughing the filed. It is one of the oldest temples built by the Malecha King of Kamrupa at Harupeswar. Ahom King Rudra Singha has reconstructed the temple in 1705 AD.
It is located on the NH15 about 12Km from East of Tezpur. Temple complex has been well maintained and renovated by local authorities and there is a priest engaged in day to day rituals.